Monday, June 4, 2018

Was it destiny? Success means different things Part 2.




Thankfully, I havent forgot to bring my
camera to a shoot since!
Getting film developed was a regular task then.
Do you think sometimes "this is what I was meant to do!"? I do. ALL the time. I struggled to find my place for many years in a different career, fighting the urge to quit because I feared the unknown. 

Fear of failure, fear of mistakes, fear of anything actually - has kept many good people from doing what they should be. Once you overcome it, so many possibilities reveal themselves, and the prior path to that point will look MUCH different when it's behind you, than it did in front of you.

Looking back, I think I was always supposed to be a photographer / producer. I certainly didn't run down that path the first chance I had, but it came back around when the time was right. So many opportunities I have had, would not look or be received the same a few years before they actually presented themselves.
My dad had this Yaschica 35mm SLR camera he bought so long ago I couldn't even tell you how old it is. He only had a couple of prime lenses for it, and it is as basic as it gets for a camera. But he traveled the world with it, and going through old photos, you can see the care he put into what he documented. He still has that camera some 45+ years later. Im actually VERY jealous of the simplicity and how it allows you to just focus (bad pun intended!) on the scene and craft. Devoid of all the modern features a $4000 DSLR has to make sure you nail the technicalities right off the bat.

Once I came along, dad didn't hang his camera up. He just drug me along. While it was always a hobby for him, he still took pride in what he did and his photos. Looking through old albums, it's like I was there, or it brought back the memories just as I remember them. I am quite certain (even if unintentional) he passed this on to me. My love for photography, as a job, hobby and craft, is certainly attributed to the childhood he gave me.



Dad in the early 70's, getting ready for
shore leave in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment