Friday, January 4, 2019

Have you ever felt like something had your name all over it?

JJ's Place in West Texas
I have a love affair with West Texas. Even in my first couple of years as a freelancer, jobs in the area past Weatherford, and not quite into New Mexico yet have always found me. It's a place I've always loved to visit, and theres a little something for everyone.

  I have driven I-20 back and forth between DFW and El Paso (in sections or wholly) literally hundreds of times. I never really thought about it, but I can't remember the last time I saw 20 Eastbound in the daylight, which explains why I have never laid eyes on this gem. Coming back from a job in the Permean Basin, I laid eyes on those two rusty steel J's from a mile away.

  For obvious reasons if you know MY name, you know why I stopped. I also happen to be a picking/antiquing/junking aficionado, so this was doubly exciting! The building has seen better days, and I'm sure this place didn't have a good reputation as a clean watering hole for thirsty families on their way to Dallas - and thats ok. It's rough around the edges, and a little more in between. Thats how I like it. I would have waded past some 3 patch bikers and outlaw truckers back in the day to sit on a stool in here when it was open, just to hear some stories and see "Texacana" in the making. Which brings me back to the point of this post....

  As I travel Texas, Ive been diligently photographing things like this and tucking the files away. I don't know what I'll do with them just yet, and honestly I had backed off the passion for doing it a little bit the last year or so because of how busy I've been with traveling to places other than Texas. I have a couple of coffee table book ideas floating around, and some fine art ideas to work on, but this was a great reminder that sometimes things have your name written all over them. Stop and look - It could be just the boost you/your spirt/passion needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment